One of the greatest strengths of E57 is that it was designed to be readily extensible to accommodate new hardware innovations.
Using the E57 extension mechanism, hardware developers can differentiate their products and incorporate new features by developing extensions that allow software developers to access additional technological innovations.
These extensions provide E57 application developers with new features above and beyond the features specified in the E2807 standard.
E57 extensions keep the format current with the latest innovations and technologies.
How to Create an E57 Extensions
When initially creating an extension, take the following steps:
- Determine if an existing extension can be used, instead of writing a new one. If an existing extension is found, coordinate your use with the vendor defining and shipping the existing extension.
- If no suitable extension already exists, determine if you can develop a multi-vendor or single-vendor extension. Only use your corporate name if it is a proprietary extension.
- Choose a unused three letter prefix name and extension namespace for your extension following the guideline in the template.
- Develop and write an extension specification following the E57 Extension Specification Template.
- When you're ready to release the extension, submit your specification to the ASTM E57.04 Committee to be listed.
- When reviewed by the E57.04 Committee, the specification will be added to the public E57 Extension list below.
- If you want to reserve your namespace/prefix name, submit a request to the E57.04 Committee to only list your namespace. Your specification can be kept private.
In the future the E57.04 Committee will look at making a new version of the standard embracing some of these extensions.
Public E57 Extensions
This list is optional and is provide here as a way to serve the lidar community.
THESE EXTENSIONS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR ANYONE DISTRIBUTING THESE EXTENSIONS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE EXTENSIONS OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THESE EXTENSIONS.
This site is © Copyright 2010 E57.04 3D Imaging System File Format Committee, All Rights Reserved